If you’re strapped for cash, you needn’t look any further as our blog and the newly revamped Love Food Hate Waste (LFHW) website will turn your leftovers into another meal and will save you some cash too.
The website has been helping consumers for years on how to save money by wasting less food. LFHW states that households across the UK threw away nearly 7 million tonnes of food last year, much of which (4.4 million tonnes) was perfectly good food that could have been eaten.
The aim of LFHW is to give you tips on how to store your food, what you should do with your leftovers along with how to lead a greener and more cost effective lifestyle.
From this week, visitors to the Love Food Hate Waste website will benefit from enhanced features, such as a more interactive website, which will provide new recipes, a monthly blog, and a top tips section to help save visitors even more money. What’s more, for the first time, the Love Food Hate Waste website will provide local, regional and national content and features from all four UK nations – giving you top tips specific to your area!
With the average family throwing away about £50 worth of perfectly good food every month, it’s a good job that we have websites like Love Food Hate Waste at hand to give us tips on what we can do with this food instead. With this in mind, we thought we’d share one of our favourite recipes from the website with you – let us know how you get on with it!
Turkey Ham and Leek Pie
A traditional turkey or chicken pie contains lots of vegetables and is the perfect ‘use up’ dish. You can add almost anything to your pie, such as mushrooms, potatoes, sweetcorn, peas, spinach, parsnips, carrots and broad beans.
Recipe author: Caroline Marson
· 90g butter
· 25g flour
· Litre turkey stock
· A pinch of salt
· Black pepper
· 1 tablespoon English mustard
· 350g cooked turkey or chicken cut into chunks or strips
· 125g cooked ham cut into chunks
· 6 leeks, cleaned and chopped
· 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
· 1 lightly beaten egg
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C (425°F) mark 7.
2. Melt the butter in a heavy based pan and add the flour off the heat. Whisk in the turkey stock and cook over a medium heat, stirring all the time until the sauce is smooth. Season well and add the mustard.
3. Place the turkey pieces, ham and leeks in the bottom of an oval pie dish, sprinkle with the fresh parsley and pour over the sauce.
4. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and cover the pie dish with the pastry. Brush the top of the pastry with a little beaten egg and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes. After this time reduce the heat to 180°C (350°F) mark 4 and bake for a further 15 minutes.
Please let us know what you think about the site by leaving a comment below!